The Mayor of London has launched a car scrappage scheme to help low income and disabled Londoners scrap older, more polluting cars in favour of cleaner vehicles and greener forms of transport to help clean the city's toxic air.
You are eligible for the scheme is you live within the 32 London boroughs or the City of London and receive certain means-tested and non means-tested disability benefits. You'll be able to apply for a grant to scrap vehicles that don't meet the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) emissions standards.
To receive the £2,000 grant towards a brand new car your vehicle must not meet the ULEZ emissions standards.
Check if your vehicle meets the ULEZ emissions standards.
To apply, you must be:
- Living within the 32 London boroughs or the City of London
- Claiming benefits
And must receive one or more of the benefits below:
- Universal Credit
- Armed Forces Independence Payment
- Attendance Allowance
- Carer's Allowance
- Child Tax Credit
- Constant Attendance Allowance
- Disability Living Allowance
- Employment and Support Allowance
- Housing Benefit
- Income Support
- Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
- Jobseeker's Allowance
- Pension Credit
- Personal Independence Payment
- Severe Disablement Allowance
- War Pensions Mobility Supplement
- Working Tax Credit
You can only apply to scrap cars that:
- Are registered with the DVLA to the applicant (or someone who lives at the same address as the applicant) and owned for more than 12 months before 23 October 2019.
- Are insured
- Have up-to-date MOT and road tax
- Don't meet ULEZ emission standards
Find out if you're entitled to benefits
Use an independent benefits calculator to find out what benefits you could get and how to claim them. The following websites are free to use and anonymous:
Once you start claiming an eligible benefit, you can apply to the ULEZ Car scheme if you live within the 32 London boroughs or the City of London.
Your benefits and tax status may be affected
Some means-tested benefits are affected by the amount of money you have in savings.
The ULEZ Car scheme grant payment may be treated as savings for any means-tested benefits you claim. If this grant payment is treated as savings, and takes you over the permitted savings limits, the current means-tested benefits you claim may be affected.
Find out more about this and how benefits can be affected by lump sum payouts.
Ancaster and TFL will have no liability to you if the ULEZ Car scrappage scheme grant payment affects any means-tested benefits you receive. Please refer to the terms and conditions for further information on TFL's liability to you.
If you are a sole trader
If you are a sole trader and have claimed capital allowances in respect of the scrapped vehicle, you may wish to seek advice as to whether the Car scrappage scheme payment grant will affect your entitlement to any means-tested benefits.
Ancaster and TFL will have no liability to you if the Car scrappage scheme grant payment affects any means-tested benefits you receive. Please refer to the terms and conditions for further information on TFL's liability to you.
Registered keepers of a Taxi who have already received a grant under the TFL taxi delicensing scheme are not entitled to scrap that vehicle under the Car scrappage scheme.
Get ready to apply
Before you start
To apply, you will need to upload documents about your vehicle and the benefits you receive.
You'll need to show that this vehicle is registered at your address and that it is roadworthy:
- V5C log book (registration document)
- Up-to-date vehicle insurance certificate
- Up-to-date MOT certificate
If the vehicle is registered in the name of someone who lives at the same address as you, you'll need to prove they live with you. You can do this by submitting a proof of address, such as a bank statement, utility bill or driving licence, which is in their name and at your address.
You'll need to prove you claim a benefit with either:
- Your most recent award letter (not more than 12 months old), or
- Screenshot(s) that show your full Universal Credit service statement
If your benefit proof doesn't show your address, you'll need to provide a proof of address such as a bank statement, utility bill or driving licence.
You can upload photos, scans or screenshots of your documents, but they must show the entire page and be clear enough to read. Files can be uploaded in JPG, PNG or PDF formats.
For example, you can use your phone to take photos of the documents and upload these.
Start your application
To apply, you'll need a London road user charging account. You can create an account as part of your application
Keep in mind:
- The name on the account must be the benefit holder
- The address on the account must match the address on your benefits proof. This must also be the address where the vehicle is registered
The application process has two stages:
- Check and apply online: You will need to send evidence that you and your vehicle qualify for the scheme. You will be contacted once your application has been processed (aimed to be done in 10 working days of receiving your application) to let you know if it has been approved.
- Scrap your vehicle: Once approved, you'll need to scrap your vehicle at an Authorised Treatment Facility. They will issue you with a Certificate of Destruction. You will need to send this on to be validated and then can be issued your grant payment.
If your application is successful your grant payment will be sent to the address on your LRUC account.
Click here to check if you meet the requirements and apply to scrap your car.